Did you know that printing could be costing your business more than you realize? From supply costs to employee productivity losses, there are several unexpected ways that printing can impact your bottom line. In this blog post, we will explore five of these hidden costs and provide solutions on how to control them. By implementing these strategies, you can not only save money but also improve efficiency and reduce your environmental footprint. Read on to learn more!
1. Supply Costs: Printing requires ink or toner cartridges, paper, and other supplies. If left unmanaged, these expenses have the potential to accumulate significantly over time, particularly in cases where procurement involves multiple vendors or lacks centralized tracking across various departments.
- Establish a centralized system for procuring printing supplies to streamline the process and negotiate better deals with vendors.
- Use print management software or tools to monitor and control the usage of supplies across departments, reducing waste and unnecessary expenses.
2. Employee Productivity: Printing documents takes time, and waiting for print jobs to finish can lead to productivity losses. Moreover, employees spend time organizing, sorting, and distributing printed documents, diverting their attention from more value-added tasks.
- Use print settings like duplex printing (printing on both sides), draft mode, or grayscale to increase speed and reduce the time spent waiting for print jobs.
- Promote the use of electronic documents, online collaboration platforms, and project management tools to minimize the need for physical printing and document distribution.
3. Document Management and Storage: Printed documents often need to be stored physically, which requires filing cabinets or other storage solutions. This not only takes up valuable office space but also necessitates ongoing organization and retrieval efforts. Digital document management systems can be more cost-effective in the long run.
- Invest in cloud-based document management systems that allow for efficient organization, retrieval, and sharing of files without the need for physical storage space.
- Digitize existing paper documents by scanning and archiving them electronically, reducing the reliance on physical storage and facilitating easier document access.
4. Waste and Environmental Impact: Overprinting or printing unnecessary documents can lead to wasted paper, ink, and other resources. This not only affects your bottom line but also has negative environmental implications. Disposing of old or outdated printed materials can also incur costs.
- Encourage employees to be mindful of their printing habits, avoiding unnecessary printing and utilizing digital alternatives whenever possible.
- Configure printers with default settings like double-sided printing and black-and-white mode to reduce paper and ink consumption.
5. Security Risks: Printed documents can be easily overlooked or accessed by unauthorized personnel, leading to potential data breaches. Sensitive information left on printed documents can put your business at risk of compliance violations or security breaches.
- Use secure printing options like requiring user authentication at the printer to ensure only authorized personnel can access sensitive documents.
- Train employees on proper handling and disposal of printed materials containing sensitive information to minimize the risk of data breaches.
These hidden printing costs can silently erode your business’s profitability. By recognizing the impact of supply expenses, employee productivity losses, document management challenges, wasteful practices, and security vulnerabilities related to printing, you’ve taken the first step towards controlling these costs. These solutions will not only safeguard your bottom line but also move your business towards increased efficiency, sustainability, and more robust security.
About Logista Solutions
Logista Solutions is a nationally recognized leader in a broad range of technology management solutions. As one of the largest technology support providers in the U.S., Logista provides innovative and holistic solutions to help companies take control of their IT infrastructure and achieve better business outcomes. Popular services include Managed IT as a Service, VoIP and Unified Communications, Managed Print, Cloud Services and Asset Disposition.