When it comes to older technology, it’s easy to get comfortable with what you have. It might still work “OK”, and you’re used to using it. Old technology is like that comfortable pair of jeans you’ve hung on to, even though they went out of style years ago!
However, technology has entered a period of incredible growth and exponential change. As a result, legacy technology has become a problem for many organizations. Continuing to use outdated technology can cost your business more than money.
What is Legacy Technology?
Legacy systems are “old technology, methods, computer systems or applications of, relating to, or being a previous or outdated computer system.” The truth is, legacy technology is pervasive and can be dangerous.
There are several reasons to move on from legacy systems and technology. They include:
- Risk of Cyberattacks – Legacy technology opens your business to cybercrime. Vendor support is typically non-existent, as is availability of software upgrades. In addition, security improvements are often not available for older systems.
- Expensive Functionality – Updating legacy systems can be expensive, but running older systems increases operating costs. Older hardware doesn’t feature energy-saving technology, and system upkeep is expensive.
- Compliance Issues – Depending on your industry, legacy technology may not meet current compliance standards. For example, in the medical industry, outdated software is often not HIPAA compliant. Using it can result in severe financial penalties.
- Loss of Business – No matter what industry you work in, outdated ideas and solutions derived from outdated technology will cause your customers to look elsewhere for better service.
- Unreliability – Don’t take an “if it’s not broke” attitude and hold on to legacy technology thinking it still works. Consider the consequences if something does go wrong.
Saying No Can Cost You!
Replacing legacy systems while positive, does come with a few downsides, most obviously the cost. There are a few other downsides, including the time involved in testing systems and training users. But the question is, are you comfortable with old technology and the costs involved, or are you ready to move forward and embrace the new?
Saying yes to an upgrade can cost you in the short term, but saying no can cost your business financially, productively and with your customers.
About Logista Solutions
Logista Solutions is a nationally recognized leader in a broad range of technology management solutions. As one of the largest technology support providers in the U.S., Logista provides innovative and holistic solutions to help companies take control of their IT infrastructure and achieve better business outcomes. Popular services include Managed IT as a Service, VoIP and Unified Communications, Managed Print, Cloud Services and Asset Disposition.